Don’t let New Year’s resolution burnout stop you from continuing to implement positive changes in your life. See how these simple modifications to your daily routine can transform your life today.
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier. Don’t just set your alarm; actually get out of bed a full half hour earlier than you’ve been getting up. Doing so will prevent you from feeling rushed or arriving at work groggy, and it will give you time to eat a decent breakfast, which is crucial for helping you power through your morning.
- Complete a cardio routine, preferably in the morning. If you need to wake up even earlier, do so. Getting your blood pumping and endorphins flowing will boost your mental and physical energy, sharpen your intellect, improve your response time, and help you maintain a positive and focused mind-set throughout the entire day.
- Spend time journaling at the beginning and end of each day. In the morning, remind yourself of your long-term and short-term goals, and list what steps you plan to take that day to accomplish them. Also, jot down the positive additions you intend to make to your daily routine—and keep yourself accountable! Check off items you’ve completed as you go. At the end of the day, use your journaling time to reflect on what you’re grateful for, to celebrate your successes, to note the lessons you’ve learned, and to establish a game plan for the next day.
- Add a green smoothie to your breakfast or lunch. There’s nothing like leafy greens to make you feel like you’re winning at life. Not only will you feel better about yourself after drinking a green smoothie; you’ll also feel better on the inside, which will carry over into your other activities. Remember the last time you ate a burger and fries for lunch and wanted to take a nap immediately afterward? Yeah, I thought so. I like the recipe ideas from 100 Days of Real Food, found here.
- Smile—a lot. We often hear, “Fake it till you make it,” particularly with regard to positivity. But it’s very true. Keeping a smile on your face throughout the day will transform your attitude, and it will change the way people interact with you: they will find you more approachable and more pleasant to be around, which will provide you with a greater sense of collegiality and community.
What other suggestions do you have for “quick fixes” to improve your daily life? Share them below!